Desert Lime Liqueur
Place 100gm Desert Limes in a glass container with a lid. Add 1 litre Vodka. Seal and store in a cool dark spot for 2 weeks. Add 750ml sugar syrup (3 cups sugar dissolved in 2.5 cups water). Reseal. Sit for 2 more weeks. Strain twice through a double layer of cheesecloth into a large sterilised bottle.
Cocktail suggestion: Fill a tall glass with icecubes (3/4 full) then add 90ml Desert Lime Liqueur and fill with club soda. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
Saltbush, Sea Parsley & Desert Lime Salmon
Blend 2 Tbspns Salt, 4 Tbspns Sugar, 2 Tbspns Desert Lime Powder, 1 teaspn Saltbush, 1 teaspn Sea Parsley with 3 Tbspns Vodka. Massage the mix into 800gm fresh salmon fillet. Place ALL the ingredients into a plastic bag, squeezing out as much air as possible and refrigerate for 3 days. To serve, remove the fish and wipe down with paper towels. Slice thinly (flesh side up) and serve .
Desert Lime & Coconut Tart
The Base: Grease a 25 cm pie tin and line with baking paper. Now a layer of 3-4 mm thick sweet short pastry. Chill then blind bake 170C for 15 mins (place baking paper over pastry and fill with rice or beans) Remove paper and rice and continue baking for 5 to 10 mins to brown.
The filling: Whisk 6 eggs, 250gm sugar, 100gm flour, 400ml cream, 400ml coconut cream until smooth:
Strain to remove any lumps.
Then mix 175gm sliced desert limes with 100gm dessicated coconut. Now blend the cream mix with the desert lime mix. Pour into the tart shell, bake 170C for approx 30-40 mins until golden brown & set. To serve – cut into wedges, dust with icing sugar
Roast Pork with Honey and Wild Lime
- 50ml lime juice
- 30ml Macadamia Nut Oil
- 30ml honey
- 1 tbspn wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspn dried ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 25gm desert limes
- 25gm Desert Limes
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspn dried ginger
- 1 tbspn honey
- 2 teaspn fennel seeds
- 1 tbspn roughly chopped pistacchios
- 1.5kg Pork Shoulder Roast
- 185ml (¾ cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- First combine all stuffing ingredients. Flap open the shoulder and stuff into cavities before folding over on itself and tying tightly with twine.
- Combine desert limes, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of oil, honey, mustard, ginger, salt and pepper in a glass or ceramic dish.
- Add the pork and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush a roasting rack with oil, and place in a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Remove the pork from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.Add the pork and cook, turning, for 1-2 minutes until golden brown all over.
- Transfer pork to the rack and roast in preheated oven until just cooked and juices run clear when a skewer in inserted into the thickest part approx 90 minutes. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- While pork is roasting, add reserved marinade and stock to the frying pan. Over high heat, bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until the sauce reduces by about half.
- Diagonally slice the pork. Serve with steamed green beans and roast, boiled or mashed potato. Top the beans with the pork slices, and spoon the sauce over the pork. Serve immediately.
Desert Lime Aioli
- 4 tbspn white vinegar
- 2 tspn Mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbspn Honey
- < 400ml Macadamia Nut oil
- 100g purèed desert limes
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Pepperberry Sea Salt
Place vinegar, mustard, egg yolk, sugar in blender to combine. With motor running gradually drizzle oil into mixture until it becomes pale and thick. Add limes and garlic then season to taste.
Desert Lime Vinaigrette Dressing
- 5 tablespoons Macadamia Nut oil
- ½ teaspoon Artesian Salt
- 8 Desert Limes
Combine in blender and serve.